mf] or [mg]
TDATS 24, "Pomp Rock", is a compilation that was inspired by the Canadian band Symphonic Slam. I was very interested in their unique mix of electronic experimentation, prog pomp and moody hard rock. I have attempted to bring together some songs that fit in with this idea. They come from all over the place but all share nice tasteful keyboards, symphonic pretensions and a certain epic quality.
I must say thanks to Zischkale for bringing Sweeney Tod to my attention, a band that featured Bryan Adams at one time. Angel's first album is great, heavy and out there without getting too cheesy, the same cannot be said for their later efforts. Arthur Brown features with the band he formed after the end of "The Crazy World Of". Aphrodite's Child was a Greek band formed in 1967, by Vangelis Papathanassiou and Demis Roussos. I always loved Vangelis's work, especially on the Blade Runner movie soundtrack. Far East Family Band feature a great Floydish trip here, and have come up on this blog before, in the earlier incarnation "Far Out".
01. Angel - Angel (Theme) (1975)
02. Hillary Blaze - Opening (1977)
03. Sweeney Todd - All Of A Sudden (1977)
04. Symphonic Slam - Everytime (1976)
05. Golem - Orion Awakes (19??)
06. Angel - Tower (1975)
07. Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come - Gypsy (1973)
08. Aphrodite's Child - Aegian Sea (1971)
09. Styx - Miss America (1977)
10. Far East Family Band - Nipponjin (1975)
1967 TURNTABLE SPINS: FEBRUARY 2017 #2
2 hours ago