Sunday, September 19, 2010
Links: [mf] or [mg]
Volume 28 of TDATS: Thor's Hammer, features bands from Scandinavia and related Norse countries (Edit: Since doing this I have also made 72: Denmark | 81: Norway | 75: Sweden | 88: Finland). As we know, they have an awesome track record in heavy music, their dedication, seemingly instinctive musical talent and made-for-metal cultural heritage will continue to amaze.
Trúbrot kick off the proceedings, one of Iceland's foremost rock bands from the late 60s, they played many styles and had some decent heaviness here and there. Blues Addicts introduce themselves with some nice honest heavy blues, lead vocalist and guitarist Ivan Horn later joined C.V. Jørgensen amongst many other "big" Danish bands. Apollo, who were mostly made up from members of the popular Finnish band Topmost, play some loose psych with doom feel.
Høst have featured on previous comps, a very talented Norwegian band who's heavy prog often veered into NWOBHM-like territory, well before it's inception. I really like the Trettioåriga Kriget track here, it's an involved piece with some jarring time-changes that I can imagine experimental metal bands like Meshuggah having fun covering. Rhapsody are a good example of where metal was heading towards the late 70s with the rise of bands like Judas Priest. Sume offer a chilled track for a pleasant half-time breather before the compilation ploughs to the end with some nice Sabbathy doom from Moses and more awesome prog showmanship from Råg i Ryggen.
01. Trúbrot (Iceland) - I. Forleikur / What We Believe In (1970)
02. Blues Addicts (Denmark) - 5/4 (1970)
03. Apollo (Finland) - Ajatuksia (1970)
04. Høst (Norway) - Samhold (1974)
05. Trettioåriga Kriget (Sweden) - Röster Från Minus Till Plus (1974)
06. Rhapsody (Sweden) - Strange Vibrations (1978)
07. Sume (Greenland) - Nye Tider (1973)
08. Moses (Denmark) - Changes (1971)
09. Plebb (Sweden) - Tankar Om Natten (1979)
10. Råg i Ryggen (Sweden) - Det kan väl inte vara farligt (1975)
11. Shaggy (Sweden) - Destination Nowhere (1975)
12. Hurdy Gurdy (Denmark) - Spaceman / Improv (1971)
Thanks for listening.