mf] or [mg]
Unzip password: tdats
The Day After The Sabbath 32 "Power of Zeus" is a collection from Greek artists. It starts and ends with a band I really like, Aphropdite's Child, who were started by the later-famous solo electronic artist Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou (aka Vangelis), and Artemios Ventouris Roussos who later shot to solo fame as Demis Roussos. By 1977, "Vavoura Band" had success in the top Athens clubs, highlighting at the Kyttaro club supporting Greece’s then top rock band 'Socrates', who also feature on this compilation, in two incarnations; Beginning life as 'Socrates Drank the Conium', and later changing name to just 'Socrates' with their final album, for which they were joined by Vangelis for his third track contribution here. There is little info on many of these bands, Kastores and Gazuama Sinchartchas especially, they produced rare singles and apparently vanished as many of these bands do. "The Sun Of Greece" were formed in Germany by three Greek expatriates and one German in 1972. After the fall of the military junta the band returned to Greece and privately released one of the rarest Greek singles "Mavra Poulia/O Listis Kai o Fonias". The fall of the Greek dictatorship had a strong effect on music, as it did in all aspects of life there. It was much easier for bands after 1974, which is around when Morka and Axis formed. Axis here present an interesting track, a repetative slew of riffs that sounds like King Crimson at their most alienatingly mechanical.
01. Aphrodite's Child - The Battle of the Locusts / Do It (1971)
02. Vavoura Band - Κατάρα (The Curse) (1979)
03. Socrates Drank The Conium - Who Is To Blame? (1973)
04. Kastores - O Ksenos Zitianos / Polemos Esti Fonias (1973)
05. Nemesis - Dreamer (1976)
06. The Sun Of Greece - O Arhigos / O Listis Kai O Fonias (1974)
07. Morka - Avenue Winter (1973)
08. Socrates - Time Of Pain / Killer (1976)
09. Axis - Materializing The Unlimited (1973)
10. Gazuama Sinchartchas - Anipsosi Apotinaksi Ekfigi (1971)
11. The 4 Levels Of Existence - Metamorphic (1976)
12. Aphrodite's Child - The Four Horsemen (1971)
Special thanks to Acidfuzzzzer over at rateyourmusic.com for his invaluable assistance!