[mf] or [mg]
TDATS 38 kicks off with Stonewall, an NYC band with just one s/t album, this track is perfect for an opening track, it's got one of those huge rolling riffs that sounds instantly familiar, like it's been woven in the fabric of the universe for ever. Next up is guitar/drums two-piece Captain Foam, from Ohio. It's from a 45 that is reportedly from 1968. It has a wall of sound thing going on and if you search pictures you will see they embodied this with their wall of amps on stage.
Sweet (or The Sweet) are a well-known band due to some of their pop-rock hit singles but I include them here as I have been reading their popular sound was imposed on them by record label pressure while the band themselves played heavy live and preferred it that way, as you can tell from some of the lesser-known tracks buried away in their LPs. Clear Light were a one-album west coast psych band that created a doomy atmosphere in this track from 1967. Cozy Powell will be known to most of you as part-time drummer of many huge bands like Sabbath and Rainbow. He has a small body of solo work and this "Dance With the Devil" B-side is a great little jam with a compact drum solo.
I have used another contemporary cover here, this time from Italian stoner doom titans Ufomammut, doing Blue Cheer proud. In my recent research for a South American volume I came across "Miguel Abuelo & Nada" and am quite stunned at the quality and scope of vision of the Argentinean ensemble, that recorded this work in France. Larry Coryell offers up a little jazz-psych song with a great guitar workout toward the end and the comp ends on two tracks from accomplished artists. Johnny Winter showing his infectious guitar riffery and Wishbone Ash their embryonic form of prog metal on 'The Pilgrim'.
01. Stonewall - Outer Spaced (1976)
02. Captain Foam - No Reason (1968)
03. Sweet - Cockroach (1976)
04. Clear Light - Street Singer (1967)
05. Blues Image - Pay My Dues (1970)
06. Cozy Powell - And Then There Was Skin (1973)
07. CWT - Steam Roller (1973)
08. Ufomammut - Peace Of Mind [Blue Cheer cover] (2000)
09. Damnation Of Adam Blessing - Driver (1970)
10. Miguel Abuelo & Nada - Tirando Piedras Al Rio (1973)
11. Larry Coryell - Sex (1969)
12. Johnny Winter - Guess I'll Go Away (1971)
13. Wishbone Ash - The Pilgrim (1971)