mf] or [mg]
TDATS Volume 37 Features Italian bands. Italy took a liking to English prog rock early in the 70s, at the time some UK bands such as Van der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant became better-known to the Italian public than the English. Hard Rock was never as well represented as symphonic prog, which is the sound that Italy made it's own. On this comp I have searched for heavier rock as much as I can, and some classic symphonic prog has made it in.
01. Tritons - Drifter (1973)
02. Ibis - L'Amico Della Porta Accanto (1973)
03. Moby Dick - Two timing girl (1970)
04. Osanna - Animale Senza Respiro  (1972)
05. New Trolls - C'è Troppa Guerra (1972)
06. Le Orme - Ritorno Al Nulla (1973)
07. Il Rovescio Della Medaglia - La Creazione (1971)
08. Biglietto Per L'inferno - Confessione (1974)
09. Osage Tribe - Arrow Head (1971)
10. Raminghi - La Nostra Verita (1971)
11. Crystals - Wrought Iron / Sad Story (1974)
The opening Tritons track is a B-side of a strange Stones' 'Satisfaction' cover. Ibis is the heavier reincarnation of New Trolls, who formed in 1967. Both of these bands have great tracks on here. The fourth track is taken from Osanna's 2nd album, which made a great departure from their first and plays as one long concept piece, which I have taken an edit from. Le Orme were a long-running prog band that played with such bands as the aforementioned Van der Graaf Generator, their track here is a welcome half-time piece of spooky electronica which reminds me a lot of Goblin's soundtrack work, an Italian band which I included on volume 30. Il Rovescio Della Medaglia's song "La Creazione", is taken from LP "La Bibbia", which is their concept work based on the early parts of the Bible.
Biglietto per Inferno's name literally means 'ticket to hell', it perfectly mixes symphonic prog interludes with hard rock verses. Osage Tribe offer up some excellent technically-played hard prog and Crystals is a band I have used once before. I really wanted to use them again as they have some great Zeppish tracks on their one-off s/t album, and they end the compilation on the lugubrious 'Sad Story'.
* The cover art for this is theatrical masks of tragedy and comedy in refined Roman mosaic, found at the Villa Adriana in Tivoli, Italy.
Various Artists - Go Set Pop Poll Awards (1971)
3 minutes ago